Ronny Gibbs 25th Anniversary Tournament postponed
The 2021 Ronny Gibbs Seven’s 25th anniversary tournament, which was due to go ahead on Wednesday 25th August, has been postponed due to the spread of Covid-19.
News of the postponement came out on Tuesday this week after COVID infections and sewage fragments were found in rural communities like Dubbo, Mudgee and Tamworth.
Organiser, and NRL legend, Ronny Gibbs said this week that he was shattered to have to postpone the marquee event.
“This was to be our 25th anniversary gala event, and we were looking forward to three days of celebration in Bourke, after having to cancel the event last year,” Ronny said.
“I really didn’t want to postpone it. I feel for the communities, the schools, especially the kids; they’re going through enough with Covid. We had to make a decision, and the right one, because it would be devastating if someone from outside brought something to my hometown. It’d be devastating for the town; it’d be devastating for me and the person who brought it there,” he said.
All stakeholders, including NSW Rugby League, participating schools, and the Far Western Academy of Sport had been working together with Ronny Gibbs to finalise a COVIDSafe plan for the event.
Now it has been postponed and is in danger of being cancelled for a second year running.
Read more local news in the printed edition of The Western Herald.
To subscribe call (02) 6872 2333 today and receive The Western Herald in your letterbox next week!