top of page

Bourke Warriors beat Newtown Wanderers in a thriller

The victorious Bourke Warriors - frontl-r: Corey Johnson, Colin Lang, Doug Dennis, Jordan Elwood, Braith Kelly (sitting), Shimar Dennis, Reuban Barker, and Aiden Orcher Back: Keenan Elwood, Paul Edwards, Max Nina, Joel Bates, David Ford, Kade Dixon, Mervyn Powell, Ben Orcher, James Moore, Aj Goolagong. Photo TWH

Barwon-Darling Rugby League

The Bourke Warriors team overcame a fired-up Newtown Wanderers team at Bourke’s Davidson Oval on Sunday, beating the Wanderers by a converted try – 28-22.

A late Wanderers surge by Neville Suey minutes before fulltime was snuffed out by the Warriors defence as Suey was pushed into touch on the grandstand side of Davidson Oval.

From the kick-off Keenan Elwood made Bourke’s intentions clear with a 50-metre run straight through the Wanderers defence. Bourke scored shortly after when a dropped ball from Walgett resulted in a runaway try to Bourke’s young five-eight Braith Kelly.

Kelly planted the ball under the posts and the try was converted by Hogan Shillingsworth.

The Wanderers hit back shortly after scoring two converted tries.

Bourke replied with a try to Hogan Shillingsworth which failed to convert.

Neville Suey then hit back with another converted try and the match seesawed throughout as Bourke gained the upper hand just after halftime.

Just after half time Bourke’s Jamie Moore had a try disallowed as the ball was stripped from him as he was crossing the line, but Bourke was not to be denied.

Mervyn Powell broke the Newtown line and offloaded to Braith Kelly who loomed up in support and raced away to near the post. The try was converted by Hogan Shillingsworth.

After another try to the Wanderers, Hogan Shillingsworth crossed the line again, and converted his own try to take the Bourke Warriors to a close fought victory.

For Bourke, Hogan finished with three tries and four conversions and Braith Kelly scored two valuable tries.

Neville Suey and Ricky Shepherd both scored twice for the Wanderers and Dillon Walford had a good day with the boot, kicking three conversions from four attempts.

For Bourke Aiden Orcher, Keenan Elwood and Jamie Moore ran hard making good metres up the middle of the defence, and for the Wanderers Neville Suey had a powerful game, proving hard to pull down and scoring two crash-over tries through a tough Bourke defence.

Best and fairest points were awarded to Hogan Shillingsworth (3), the Wanderer’s Dillon Walford (2) and Bourke’s Aiden Orcher (1). {…]

Read more in the printed edition of The Western Herald.

To subscribe call (02) 6872 2333 today and receive The Western Herald in your letterbox next week!


bottom of page