top of page

Obituary – The passing of Kevin Cameron

Kevin Cameron beside his Louth-Tilpa mailrun truck in the late 1960’s. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Long-term former Bourke resident Kevin John Cameron passed away in Dubbo on 12th May 2020.

Kevin John Cameron was born to Rowallan and Doris Cameron on the 8th August 1932 in Inverell. He was the only brother to his older sister Norma and his younger sister Marie.

His family lived on the family dairy farm in the Long Plains locality near Inverell.

Kevin and his sisters attended school in Inverell. Kevin’s mum always wanted him to have a white-collar job, so when Kevin finished school, he went to Moree to commence work in the Lands Office.

After some time, Kevin decided “that this job was not for him”, so he returned to Inverell. Kevin’s Uncle Ken had a garage in Bourke, and he worked until a job with Toc Holland came up. Toc owned a general carrying business in Bourke which included a mail run from Louth to Tilpa.

Eventually Kevin bought the business along with three trucks. He was in his element. Kevin always loved his work and as his wife Viv would say, “Kevin was happy in his trucking life”.

Kevin made friends easily with the people on his runs and was often known to meet up with them in Louth and have a session or two before heading home. In Louth he had a special place “the tree” where only his truck would be parked.

It was through his mail run that Kevin met his wife Viv, as her parents lived on one of the properties. Kevin and Viv dated for a couple of years and then got married. They had two children Des and Dianne and together forged a happy family life in Bourke.

During the busy wool seasons, Kev was joined by Viv who drove one of Kev’s other trucks. Together they would truck the wool from the wool sheds to the Bourke railway station.

In 1986 Kev sold the business, retired and he and Viv moved to Dubbo to be closer to both Des and Dianne who lived there.

Kevin’s retirement didn’t last long. He was asked to do a week’s work of stocktaking at Blackwood’s Industrial and Safety store in Dubbo, and one week ended up being twelve years.

Kevin then retired for a second time and this time it was permanent. During his retirement Kevin often said he “didn’t know how he had time for going to work as he seemed to be busier doing jobs at home”.

During his retirement Kev and Viv enjoyed football trips to Sydney. They travelled to Mildura, Broken Hill, Nowra and numerous other places.

Kevin is greatly missed by his loving wife Viv, his son Des and daughter-in-law Chris, his daughter Dianne, his twelve grandchildren, his eleven great-grandchildren, and his many friends.

Rest in Peace Kevin.

Submitted by Viv Cameron of 4 Epsom Avenue, Dubbo.

bottom of page