top of page

Barwon Darling Rugby League The Year of the Dragon!

Walgett captain Jared Hunt breaks through the Warriors defence to seal the Dragons’ victory at Davidson Oval on Sunday PHOTO TWH

Walgett Dragons Senior Men’s. Back row: Neville Murray, Nelson Sharpley, Michael Flick, William West, Nathan Boney, Jared Hunt, Josh Murray, Neville Suey, Jeffery Flick, Robert Peters, Grant Gree, Dillion Walford. Front row: Jai Kennedy, Justin Green, Troy Sands, Corey Stanton, Douglas Murray, Steven Dennis, Dwayne Doolan, Matthew Button, Robert Murray PHOTO TWH

The Walgett Dragons have produced an upset win in the Barwon Darling Rugby League grand final at Bourke’s Davidson Oval on Sunday.

The Walgett side was far too good, knocking the Bourke Warriors over in a 38-18 victory in front of a bumper crowd.

Almost a thousand fans of the Bourke, Walgett and Brewarrina clubs were on hand to see Brewarrina take out the Ladies League Tag premiership, while Brewarrina and Bourke shared the spoils in the under 18s and under 15s grand finals respectively.

Considering the Bourke Warriors had lost only once in two seasons prior to the grand final, it was the Dragons’ win in the men’s decider that stole the show.

The score was the most surprising aspect, though the Dragons had to withstand major onslaughts from the minor premiers to earn their first title since 2016 having lost both grand finals since.

Several sides had had close run-ins against Bourke this season, Brewarrina having scraped a narrow win and Walgett themselves earning a draw during the home and away rounds. But a 20-point win took everyone by surprise, even the Dragons’ own club officials.

“It was just unreal, last year they flogged us in the grand final so to get one back was awesome,” Walgett president Michael Hunt said.

“The go-forward was good, the defence was solid and a number of guys really put their hand up and played outstanding games for us.”

Walgett prop Jared Hunt was in a class of his own for much of the contest, laying the platform for his side with a colossal performance up front and dishing out some bruising defence against the classy Bourke pack. He claimed the Ronny Gibbs Medal after full-time for man of the match honours.

Bourke jumped out to an early 10 nil lead and were looking at a second straight title. But Walgett had other plans.

Read more in the printed edition of the Western Herald.

bottom of page